[netcf-devel] [libvirt] [RFC] Reporting host interface status/statistics via netcf/libvirt, and listing active vs. inactive interfaces

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 20:33:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 01:27:14PM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 22:10 +0200, Daniel Veillard wrote:

> > > 'netmask' should really be avoided these days, in preference to 'prefix'
> > > since the latter works for IPv4 and IPv6, while the former only works
> > > for IPv4. 'netmask' can be auto-calculated from 'prefix' by apps if they
> > > really care about it.
> >
> >   Fine by me, just that I think they should be hold by 2 separate
> > attributes or element if possible at this point.
>
> Yes, good point; and I don't know what I was thinking when I made the
> address attribute optional.
>
> I'll change the schema to this:
>
>         <element name="ip">
>         </element>
>
> so that you'll write
>
>         <ip address="172.32.12.10" prefix="24"/>

  Cool :-)

> I haven't declared the schema or the API stable yet, but I want to do
> that once there is a libvirt release out there that relies on netcf. So
> if there are any other issues with any of these aspects, raise them now
> or forever hold your peace.

  Well I'm writing the parser, so sure I will raise those :-)

There is also a lot of suggested extensions from Jim Fehlig, but I think
they all can be handled as extension from the original schemas.
One thing which needs to be ironed out IMHO is IPv6, better clean this
up now than later.  I'm not a IPv6 fan but making sure the schemas is ready
for it is important I guess. The comment about <dhcp6 /> should probably be
decided before first release.