[netcf-devel] [libvirt] [RFC] Reporting host interface status/statistics via netcf/libvirt, and listing active vs. inactive interfaces

Jonas Eriksson jonas.j.eriksson at ericsson.com
Mon Jun 22 08:58:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 05:14:44PM +0000 David Lutterkort wrote:
[..]
> There's a few more options we need to add for completeness, at least
> PERSISTENT_DHCLIENT, DHCPRELEASE, and DHCLIENT_IGNORE_GATEWAY are
> supported by initscripts.

This raises a question - how should the features of some backends
and the deficiencies of other backends be handled? Should netcf
aim to handle just about everything? What about libvirt in the
case that the netcf XML API is extended and the libvirt XML API
is incompatible? What about features that are very similar but
not exactly the same (an example is the SuSE STARTMODE which
allows an interface to be started automatically at boot, when the
if is hotplugged, from ifplugd (!= hotplugged, apparently), or
autostarted but never automatically shut down)?

These decisions are best done on a case-to-case-basis, but it
would be nice for some general direction. As libvirt seems to be
the first "customer" of netcf, this question is best raised in
this forum as well.

General thoughts? More examples?

Regards,
Jonas