[libvirt] virsh -no-kvm problem on debian install

ChaosMedia > WebDev webdev at chaosmedia.org
Tue Jun 23 08:22:36 UTC 2009

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:18:44PM +0200, ChaosMedia > WebDev wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i've installed lastest kvm-86 and libvirt-0.6.4 tarballs on my debian
>> stable and have a problem using virsh
>>
>> No matter what i do in the guest domain config or with /usr/bin/
>> symlinks, libvirt keeps using the -no-kvm option when starting guests
>> when my cpu has kvm-amd support, modules are loaded and /dev/kvm exists,
>> and starting the guests thru command line works fine, and faster.
>>

> These two shows libvirt knows about KVM, so the bug must be in
> the guest XML config.

> I suspect you've not got type='kvm' on the <domain> tag.

Thx for the info, indeed i changed the domain type from qemu to kvm and
the guess started without -no-kvm, so with kvm support.

was
<domain type='qemu' id='5'>
is now
<domain type='kvm' id='5'>

I don't quite understand why it wasn't set to kvm in the first place, i
did remember using some kvm option on virt-install command line when
creating the guest.

thx again i believe it fixed my problem i'll try to see if if can also
apply to virt-manager which was doing the same thing

Marc