[libvirt] vTPM support in libvirt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jun 26 08:44:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 09:30:53AM +0100, Andreas Sommer wrote:
> I made some changes to the code and would like to try it out by
> installing libvirt. As you said, there's an example on how to build and
> install it, but how do I need to configure it in order to get it
> installed on my system and not in some $HOME directory?? Yesterday I tried
>
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> then virsh is installed but cannot find libvirt.so.0. Can you help me
> with that or edit the installation instructions on the website?

If you're just doing dev changes, it is best not to install it into
your main system. Instead just build and run directly from the source
tree.

eg, what I normally do is

   ./autogen.sh --enable-compile-warnings=error --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc
   make

And *not*  make install.

Then as root just stop the normal libvirtd daemon that comes with your
distro, and run the one you just compiled manually, eg

  $ su - root
  # /etc/init.d/libvirtd stop
  # /home/berrange/work/libvirt/qemud/libvirtd

And likewise, use the 'virsh' binary directly from the source tree

  $ cd $HOME/work/libvirt/src
  $ ./virsh