[libvirt] problem: deleting a guest

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Tue Jun 30 09:13:49 UTC 2009

I defined a new guest using the virt-manager GUI ... everything fine so far.  I
then decided that my definition was not correct (or I could be done with that
guest) and could not find a way to delete the guest.

OK, quit virt-manager, delete the configuration and disk-image files for the
guest, restart libvirtd, and then start virt-manager again.  The guest
definition (according to virt-manager) was still there.  I finnaly got rid of
the definition by re-booting the system.  THIS IS NOT SATISFACTORY!

IMHO, I should be able to:

1. Define a new guest.

2. Delete the definition of a new guest but not the related configuration and
disk-image files.

3. Delete the guest definition and the related configuration and disk image files
but NOT and CD/DVD image files external to /var/lib/libvirt/images.

4. Import new guests which were created as clones, copied from another host,
or convert created from something like VMware.

Not it is certainly possible (or even likely) that I h\just do not understand
how to do things yet.  Or, this could be a bug.  Or, this could be a lack of
capabilities.

Help appreciated in pointing me in the right direction.  I will bugzilla where
appropriate.

Gene