[libvirt] How does libvirt 0.6.3 load kvm driver

Jason Wong hcwong at clustertech.com
Tue Jun 30 10:38:35 UTC 2009

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 01:59:36PM +0800, Jason Wong wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I found that libvirt 0.6.3 seems does not load KVM driver while libvirt
>> 0.3.3 does.
>>
>> Situation description:
>>
>> I am using CentOS 5.3, and the kernel I used is 2.6.30.
>> I downloaded the kernel from kernel.org andcompile it. KVM was compiled
>> as a module.
>> libvirt: libvirt 0.6.3, released by Eucalyptus(a cloud computing
>> infrastructure software which supports KVM as well)
>>
>> (1) libvirt 0.6.3 does not load KVM driver
>>

> No libvirt release has ever loaded the KVM kernel modules. This is
> left upto the OS distribution vendor to deal with. In Fedora, the
> KVM RPM installs a script that loads them upon boot. I'm not sure
> what CentOS does.
>
> Daniel

Dear Daniel,

Let me clarify, the KVM qemu driver, in my understanding is the part
that responsible for the communication between  KVM hypervisor and
libvirt (I think it is in the source code qemu_driver.c).
For KVM kernel module, I have manually use "modprobe kvm" command into
kernel.

Perhaps  I  should use the term "qemu driver" instead of "kvm driver".

--
Jason Wong

System engineer

Cluster Technology Limited

Email: hcwong at clustertech.com

Direct Line: (852) 2655-6129

Tel: (852) 2655-6100

Fax: (852) 2994-2101

Website: www.clustertech.com

The information and attachment contained in this e-mail originating from
Cluster Technology Limited is confidential and intended solely for
the specified addressees. If you have received this email in error,
please do not read, copy, distribute, disclose or use any information of
this email in any way and please immediately notify the sender and delete
this email. Thank you for your cooperation.