[libvirt] some questions about libvirt features and limitations

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Mar 6 11:05:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 10:28:56AM +0100, Pritesh Kothari wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>

> > Someone mentioned a VirtualBox driver. I'm highly interested in this.
> > How is it going ? I'd be more than happy to beta test if required. Will
> > it work with both PUEL and OSE versions ? When will it be ready for
> > inclusion in libvirt ? How will you handle RDP access, as from what I
> > saw only VNC is supported in libvirt currently ?
>
> I am currently working on Virtualbox driver and they are still in nascent
> stage of development.
>
> Yes they will support both the versions cause they depend on the Common Main
> VirtualBox API.
>
> About inclusion in libvirt, that will depend on the libvirt community, as I
> would submit the patches but only on review/ack by all they will pass on
> upstream.

We'd very much like to see VirtualBox suported as a driver in libvirt
because its a pretty popular open source virt technology and there have
been quite a few feature requests from users for it to be included.

> Not reached the stage of deciding on RDP/VNC yet but any help in it will be
> appreciated.

I see no problem in supporting RDP as an option for VirtualBox. We
already have two possible <graphics> tags

  <graphics type='sdl' display=":0.0" xauth="/root/.Xauthority"/>

And

  <graphics type='vnc' listen='0.0.0.0' port='5901' autoport='yes'/>

So we can easily add another option for RDP, which I'd guess would
be very similar to the VNC options, since its another client/server
network based system

  <graphics type='rdp' listen='0.0.0.0' port='5901' autoport='yes'/>