[libvirt] lxc: dominfo.cpuTime support using cgroups.cpuacct

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Mar 6 14:28:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 02:27:04PM +0100, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 02:34:48AM +0900, Ryota Ozaki wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This patch enables to get CPU usage of a lxc using cpuacct subsystem
> > of cgroups.
>
>   Looks cool, what kernel version is required to make use of this ?
> The kernel patch seems to be from last december, but I'm not sure.
> I would just prefer to make sure it's in a released kernel version
> before applying the patch here :-)

It is in 2.6.27 because I can see it there on my Fedora 9 box after
doing

# mount -t cgroup none /mnt/cg
# ls /mnt/cg
cpuacct.usage           cpuset.memory_pressure_enabled   devices.deny
cpuset.cpu_exclusive    cpuset.memory_spread_page        devices.list
cpuset.cpus             cpuset.memory_spread_slab        notify_on_release
cpuset.mem_exclusive    cpuset.mems                      release_agent
cpuset.mem_hardwall     cpuset.sched_load_balance        tasks
cpuset.memory_migrate   cpuset.sched_relax_domain_level
cpuset.memory_pressure  devices.allow

The Linux kernel support for containers is still incomplete, so I don't
think it is worth fixing on a long term minimum kernel version for LXC
just yet. We still need the PTS filesystem virtualization before you can
consider LXC a reasonably secure container and I don't think that's
until 2.6.30.