[libvirt] Error in virt-install

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Mar 10 11:47:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:03:12AM +0000, Nuno Fernandes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After applying your patch i didn't get any error like memory corruption.
> Nevertheless i was able to access graphics using vnc. Even specifying vnc it
> tries to open display (maybe something requires it - virt-viewer).
>
> [root at localhost ~]# virt-install  -n test -r 512 --vnc --
> file=/dev/VolGroup00/test-os --location=ftp://mirrors/centos/5/os/i386 -x
> 'text' --vncport=5900
>

> Starting install...
> Retrieving file .treeinfo 100% |=========================|  413 B    00:00
> Retrieving file vmlinuz.. 100% |=========================| 2.1 MB    00:00
> Retrieving file initrd.im 100% |=========================| 5.4 MB    00:00
> Creating domain...                                                 0 B 00:01
>
> (virt-viewer:4021): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> Domain installation still in progress.  You can reconnect to
> the console to complete the installation process.

Yes, at this point it has tried to start 'virt-viewer' to show you the
VNC console to complete installation. The fact that it couldn't start
it was not a serious problem - you could easily start it yourself as
you discovered. If you wanted to supress the error, you could pass the
--noautoconsole flag to virt-install, which stops it trying to launch
virt-viewer at all.

> I access the console using vnc but as you said, after the instalation
> completes it didn't restart. It disappeared from "virsh list" but i'm able to
> start it again using:
>
> [root at localhost ~]# virsh start test
> Domain test started
> [root at localhost ~]# virsh list
>  Id Name                 State
>   0 Domain-0             running
>   3 test                 idle
>
> If there's anything i can do to help please let me know.

This is actually the expected behaviour. Since virt-viewer could not be
started directly, virt-install finished leaving you to manually restart
the guest once installation was complete. If virt-install had been able
to launch virt-viewer, it would have automatically restarted the guest
once install was complete.