[libvirt] Using libvirt from PHP

Radek Hladik radek at eadresa.cz
Wed Mar 25 21:01:22 UTC 2009

Hi,
	I am developing wimple web application in PHP to monitor and control
VMs using libvirt. I hope it could become simple library for doing basic
things with VMs. And I would like to ask for your opinion about
different possibilities of calling libvirt.

Option 1) I am calling virsh via exec command now (one virsh for every
libvirt command). This can be used for local libvirt but it is very
inefficient. The overhead for remote libvirt would be unbearable. I
could run one virsh per page and use it "interactively" so the overhead
gets lower.
Option 2) The other option is to create Zend extension which should be
able to call libvirt directly from C. However I've never done anything
like that so I do not know, whether it is reasonable or not.
Option 3) I could also create some "wrapper daemon" in C or other
language with libvirt binding. But I think that this is an ugly way :-)
Option 4) I could "talk" directly to the libvirt socket. But I am not
sure how the communication goes there and whether it is stable or
changes with every version. And I consider the socket to be internal
thing of libvirt...

Is there any other option I missed? And which one would you suggest?

Radek