[libvirt] Upcoming 0.6.2 release

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 11:05:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:11:23AM +0100, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> I would like to make a new release mid or end of next week, considering
> the number of fixes accumulated in CVS compared to 0.6.1, I guess 0.6.2
> makes sense.
> I think we should look at integrating the new SCSI pool patch, hopefully
> there is no big issues.
> If there are mails or patchs which are pending and we forgot to review
> or ACK, please raise them again so that we can try to get them in time
> for next release,

Our release schedule has become a little too variable in timeframe and
quality in recent times. We've tended to get into a situation where we've
had some very large new features going in very late before release with
little time for actually testing them between commit & release. It is
unrealistic to expect pre-commit reviews to catch all problems, so I
think it might be worth us setting out a very slightly more formal rule
for commit/release schedule.

I'd like to suggest:

 - Monthly releases aiming for 1st of the month (plus/minus 3 days to
   take into account weekends/holidays)

 - Any non-trivial new feature for release must be reviewed, approved
   and committed at least 1 week before the release.  eg by 24th of
   each month

This will give people using libvirt CVS some time to sanity check new
features aren't causing serious regressions / crashes before we release.

In parallel I'm also working on an integration test suite, which will
enable us to run automated tests against individual hypervisor drivers.
This will help us detect regressions in hypervisor drivers, and more
importantly let us ensure that all drivers are implementing consistent
semantics for their APIs.