[libvirt] Upcoming 0.6.2 release

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 17:49:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:52:44AM -0400, Sir Woody Hackswell wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 7:05 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>wrote:
> >
> > Our release schedule has become a little too variable in timeframe and
> > quality in recent times. We've tended to get into a situation where we've
> > had some very large new features going in very late before release with
> > little time for actually testing them between commit & release. It is
> > unrealistic to expect pre-commit reviews to catch all problems, so I
> > think it might be worth us setting out a very slightly more formal rule
> > for commit/release schedule.

  I tend to agree on the approximate rule of one release every months
but I would like to keep this flexible.
  I agree that more announcement is needed, which is why I sent that
mail to try to get things in line. In that case I expected only bug
fixes, and not much else.

> +1 on release schedule.
>
> This still gives the project speed and flexibility, while reducing the risks
> of new features or big changes breaking the release.

 This is in general good as we experienced in the GNOME project, yes,
but the time line was quite longuer than a month. I still think that
for a rate of one release per month trying to sync on an arbitrary
date just won't work very well because this will fluctuate too fast to
be realistic.
  I would suggest the following:
    - I post every week, say at the end of the week when I think the
      next releases will be likely to occur, trying to refine as we get
      closer
    - We try to not make any release if there isn't a 2 week advance
      warning
    - we try to get everything commited one week before the release
      as to get some kind of feature freeze one week in advance for
      testing as Dan requested and yes this really make sense

 I think if we already try to apply those rules then things should go
smoother.

 This mean we already break the rules for 0.6.2 but my current view is:

0.6.2:
  - commit feature freeze: Tuesday 31 Mar
  - expected release date: Friday 3 Apr

0.6.3:
  - commit feature freeze: Friday 17 Apr
  - expected release date: Friday 24 Apr

  I would like a new release after 0.6.2 in 4 weeks, which I expect
again to be mostly bug fixes

   Anybody disagree ?