[libvirt] Looking for good example API function(s)

Laine Stump laine+libvirt at laine.org
Tue Mar 10 15:36:01 UTC 2009

To help with lutter's network configuration project, I'm looking at
adding API functions to libvirt which are essentially pass-throughs to
netcf library APIs called by libvirtd. Can someone point me to good
examples of APIs that are not hypervisor driver-dependent (and possibly
not host OS-dependent either - I believe the final intent is for netcf
to handle all host OS dependencies itself) to use as a basis for writing
these new APIs?

At a more detailed level, a quick trace through the code of some other
APIs got me as far as the call to the "call" function, with an RPC code,
but I didn't find where that call was caught (and the RPC code
interpreted, eg REMOTE_PROC_NETWORK_CREATE_XML - cscope couldn't find
any other reference to this value) on the libvirtd side. I'm about run
virsh and libvirtd under gdb to learn this by experimentation, but if
someone wants to take the fun out of it for me, hints would be gladly
accepted!  ;-)