[libvirt] I have no idea why the current version of libvirt works for anyone in enforcing mode.

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Mar 13 10:19:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 01:39:13PM -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> Libvirt is executing qemu requiring it to execute pulseaudio which would
> require the folowing permissions,
>
> #============= svirt_t ==============
> allow svirt_t admin_home_t:dir setattr;
> allow svirt_t admin_home_t:file { read write };
> allow svirt_t pulseaudio_port_t:tcp_socket name_connect;
> allow svirt_t svirt_tmpfs_t:file read;
> allow svirt_t user_tmpfs_t:file read;
>
> Since qemu(svirt_t) is not allowed these permissions, pulseaudio crashes
> and qemu dies.

I don't see it crashing - when I run with a guest with a sound device
attached, I see the AVC denials, and QEMU just carries on without a
active sound backend AFAICT.

> I believe you need to run without sound if you are running as root.

We can't disable sound unconditonally for root, because not everyone
will be using SELinux so its still valid to allow sound cards. I think
the focus has to be on stopping QEMU from crashing. It might actually
be an SDL bug, rather than a QEMU bug, because I believe its SDL that
is responsible for opening the sound devices.