[libvirt] (no subject)

Eduardo Otubo otubo at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Mar 20 16:58:50 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I've been working on a libvirt extension to manage IBM's Power VMs
(LPARs). The Power systems are managed through management console
referred to as the HMC or using a management partition (IVM). Both HMC
and IVM runs an SSH, then you can reach it via command line, and an HTTP
server, then you can reach it via web browser.

The protocol between the console and the partition (LPAR) is not
disclosed, therefore I propose the driver to execute commands remoetly
over an SSH connection to the consoles to manage IBM LPARs.

The patch attached is the first scratch of the driver that will interact
with HMC over a SSH connection. The URI model that is
used in virsh command line is:

virsh --conect phyp://$user@$server

Some known issues are:
 * Next step is to make the URI like this: phyp://$user@
$HMC/@managed_system. Almost finished. What it takes now is
$server = $HMC = $managed_system.
 * Next features in my TODO list are "resume", "stop" and "reboot" the
LPAR.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,

--