[libvirt] save/ restore a domain with kvm

Zvi Dubitzky DUBI at il.ibm.com
Mon Mar 23 11:03:22 UTC 2009

Here is the /var/log/libvirt/qemu/vm_dubi2.log  file.  It shows a trailing
 '-incoming stdio'  which is  rejected  by QEMU,
The rest is correct and is probably the translation of the XML.
The XML as appears in the saved file  vm_dubi2.sav  (also below) looks
fine . But that file has some prefix  binary section  which I do not know
its content

Again , the saved VM state file is :

thanks

Zvi Dubitzky
Virtualization and System Architecture   Email:dubi at il.ibm.com
IBM Haifa Research Laboratory    Phone: +972-4-8296182
Haifa, 31905, ISRAEL

"Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com>
Sent by: libvir-list-bounces at redhat.com
23/03/2009 11:36
Please respond to
"Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com>

Zvi Dubitzky/Haifa/IBM at IBMIL
cc
libvir-list at redhat.com
Subject
Re: [libvirt] save/ restore a domain with kvm

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 08:04:17PM +0200, Zvi Dubitzky wrote:
> I am working with virsh
>
> The version of  VIRSH as it shows is :
> virsh # version
> Compiled against library: libvir 0.4.4
> Using library: libvir 0.4.4
> Using API: QEMU 0.4.4
> Running hypervisor: QEMU 0.9.1
>
> Under virsh  I do the following :
> 1.  suspend a running VM
> 2. save it to a file  with the 'save' command
> 3. restore the saved domain file  with the 'restore' command while the
> domain is still in the suspend mode
>     or after it was shutdown/destroyed (not seen with 'list --all)
>     In either case I get the error message  saying :
>
>    virsh # restore /home/dubi/xml/vm_dubi2.sav
>   libvir: QEMU error : operation failed: failed to start VM
>   error: Failed to restore domain from /home/dubi/xml/vm_dubi2.xml
>
> Any idea what is the failure reason  ?

Check the /var/log/libvirt/qemu/$HOME.log file for more information from
QEMU

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/
:|
|: http://libvirt.org  -o-  http://virt-manager.org  -o-  http://ovirt.org
:|
|: http://autobuild.org       -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/
:|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-  F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505
:|