[libvirt] Monitoring VMs via java application

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Mar 26 13:20:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 01:33:06PM +0100, Daniel Halle wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I want to monitor my VMs with a Java application.
> Is there a possibility to register an observer or the like which is
> triggered e.g. after the state of a VM has changed?
> Or is the only way to use a timer which polls all VMs every xy minutes?

The C library has an API which allows you to register a callback to
received asynchronous events upon domain state changes. I remember
that there was some work to expose this in Java, but I think it got
blocked on work to make the library fully thread safe. So there may
still be a little more work required in the Java  binding. There
underlying capability definitely exists though, so if you're at all
familiar with Java JNI you ought to be able to get something working.