[libvirt] [Fwd: first cut public API for physical host interface configuration]

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 08:50:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 01:42:59PM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> Actually, UUID isn't so fun, since there's no place in the stock network
> config script to store it. For initscripts, we can just stick a
> NETCF_UUID or whatever variable into the interface config. On Debian, we
> would have to store that info in some lookaside file - and associate it
> by name with an interface, i.e. do something the application might as
> well do on its own. So I am not convinced that UUID is all that useful.

  Well unique identifiers, more resilients than names are really
needed in practice. And volativity of physical hardware will increase
things like SR-IOV where you can dynamically create/remove an interface
with its own PCI identification from a single hardware card means
the old days where the number of interfaces was a nearly static config
are over, even on servers.
  Maybe generating a unique ID based on a MAC address and possibly
a PCI ID should be doable, and could avoid the lookaside file.
But we already store per object files descriptions in the libvirt
/etc/hierarchy, we do it for networks already, and I don't see the
addition for network interfaces to be such a problem. Having a way
from the UUID to find the MAC address sounds important to me but that
may not be sufficient for proper unique identification anymore.