[libvirt] "invalid connection pointer in virConnectClose" from Python bindings

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Mar 30 09:24:58 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:36:36PM -0500, Charles Duffy wrote:
> Howdy.
>
> I'm calling libvirt from a program which occasionally has cause to
> fork() without an immediate exec(). For the sake of simplicity, I
> presently call close() on all my virConnect objects [which I then
> delete] before forking and create new ones later. (I'm not forcing an
> explicit pre-fork garbage collection at present -- hopefully the close()
> should make one unnecessary).
>
> However, libvirt complains (and very occasionally segfaults) as I try to
> close the connections:
>
> libvir: error : invalid connection pointer in virConnectClose
> libvir: error : invalid connection pointer in virConnectClose
>
> Are there any practices I should be following to avoid this?
> Alternatively, if it is likely to be related to an issue in the Python
> bindings, is there something I could do to diagnose?

What I think is going on here is:

 - You explicitly called 'close()' which calls virConnectClose() which releases
the underlying virConnectPtr object

 - Garbage collection later invokes __del__, which tries to call
virConnectClose too.

The 2nd scenario causes the error message you see. We need to fix the __del__
method, so it only calls virConnectClose(), if the user has not already done
so.