[libvirt] KVM processes -- should we be able to attach them to the libvirtd process?

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Tue May 5 20:13:38 UTC 2009

Not too long ago we took a patch that allowed QEMU VMs to keep running
even if libvirtd died or was restarted.

I was talking to Matt Farellee (cc'd) this afternoon about
manageability, and he feels fairly strongly that this behavior should be
optional -- in other words, it should be possible to guarantee that if
libvirtd dies, it will take all the VMs with the "die-with-libvirtd"
flag set down with it.

I'm not sure this API is portable to Xen, but it would work on any
hypervisor that represents the VM as a normal process.

Does this strike anyone else as useful behavior?

Thanks,
--Hugh