[libvirt] Re: Has anyone ever gotten the client or full to compile on OS X?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu May 7 09:24:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 03:20:23PM -0500, Schley Andrew Kutz wrote:
> Anyone? :( I really don't want to have to bring up a whole new box
> just do do dev work that I should be able to do from my Mac. I guess I
> can write against the Java bindings locally and then debug remotely on
> a Linux server.

Unfortunatley at this point in time, we're not officially supporting
Mac OS-X as a platform, since none of us have ability todo regular
enough testing to avoid breakage. For Windows biulds we have an
automated build running with the mingw cross-compiler to catch problems
quickly. We don't have ability todo the same for OS-X unfortunately..

If want to submit patches to fix various OS-X problems you encounter
we'll happily accept them & apply, but in absence of automated builds
it will require someone todo pretty regular manual build testing to
make sure it keeps working.

> [...]
> >
> >Undefined symbols:
> >"_xdr_quad_t", referenced from:
> >    _xdr_remote_sched_param_value in libvirt_la-remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_get_version_ret in libvirt_la-remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_block_stats_ret in libvirt_la-remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_block_stats_ret in libvirt_la-remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_block_stats_ret in libvirt_la-remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_block_stats_ret in libvirt_la-remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_block_stats_ret in libvirt_la-remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_interface_stats_ret in libvirt_la-
> >remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_interface_stats_ret in libvirt_la-
> >remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_interface_stats_ret in libvirt_la-
> >remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_interface_stats_ret in libvirt_la-
> >remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_interface_stats_ret in libvirt_la-
> >remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_interface_stats_ret in libvirt_la-
> >remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_interface_stats_ret in libvirt_la-
> >remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_interface_stats_ret in libvirt_la-
> >remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_node_get_info_ret in libvirt_la-remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_node_get_info_ret in libvirt_la-remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_node_get_info_ret in libvirt_la-remote_protocol.o
> >"_xdr_u_quad_t", referenced from:
> >    _xdr_remote_vcpu_info in libvirt_la-remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_sched_param_value in libvirt_la-remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_get_max_memory_ret in libvirt_la-
> >remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_set_max_memory_args in libvirt_la-
> >remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_set_memory_args in libvirt_la-remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_get_info_ret in libvirt_la-remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_get_info_ret in libvirt_la-remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_get_info_ret in libvirt_la-remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_migrate_prepare_args in libvirt_la-
> >remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_migrate_prepare_args in libvirt_la-
> >remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_migrate_perform_args in libvirt_la-
> >remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_migrate_perform_args in libvirt_la-
> >remote_protocol.o
> >    _xdr_remote_domain_migrate_finish_args in libvirt_la-
> >remote_protocol.o
> >ld: symbol(s) not found
> >collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> >make[3]: *** [xmlrpctest] Error 1
> >make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> >make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> >make: *** [all] Error 2
> >
> >This is where we left it last year:
> >http://www.mail-archive.com/libvir-list@redhat.com/msg04636.html . :) I'm
> >sorry that I'm revisiting old problems, but it's been a  year and I'm just

This just sounds like you're missing the portable-xdr library build
pre-requisite.