[libvirt] how to configure keymap & keyboard layout with virt-manager

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon May 11 10:44:57 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 11:07:46PM +0200, libvirt at pivert.org wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm fighting to configure the keyboard on libvirt (kvm) (0.6.1-0ubuntu5).
> I'm using a belgian keyboard, so, my question is :
> - Which keyboard layout should I place in the xml file (or through the vm
> display adapter configuration).
> - Which keyboard layout should I use in the vm ?
>

> PS: When I use 'be' as keymap on the vnc line, the libvirtd just segfault at
> startup.

libvirtd or QEMU ?  I don't see why libvirtd would SEGV for a 'be'
keyboard, but QEMU certainly might if it were not supported.

QEMU only supports a handful of keymaps (see /usr/share/qemu/keymaps)
and I dont think 'be' is one of them.

Our recommendation is to never set the '-k' /keymap option at all these
days. Recent QEMU / KVM and GTK-VNC releases support a VNC extension for
sending raw keycodes, instead of localized keysyms. Thus is best to leave
off the keymap in the config, and just configure it inside the guest OS.