[libvirt] Usage of UUID

Eduardo Otubo otubo at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri May 15 15:31:39 UTC 2009

Hello all,

When I started to implement phyp driver, I use to handle the UUID as a
normal 'unsigned char *' with a LPAR value called "logical_serial_num"
that is a string in the format "067BE8B2", an identifier.

In the last comments I got from danpb and DV, they called my attention
to const string at UUID handling and some funtcions that must be
implemented: domainDumpXML, listDefinedDomains and numOfDefinedDomains.

My question is: Once I don't have information from my hypervisor about
UUID, do I have to handle UUID at "list" or "list --all" commands? Or I
should keep and handle this information only when defining a domaing at
libvirt?

I mean, in my point of view, there is no need to generate and store a
UUID while just listing LPARs in the remote server. What I should do is
to generate a random UUID (and store it) just when the user decides to
define it at libvirt.

Am I thinking right?
Thanks for the help.

[]'s