[libvirt] is qemu really needed for make rpm or is kvm sufficient?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon May 18 12:22:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 09:56:11AM +0200, Gerrit Slomma wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am curious if qemu is really needed to do "make rpm".
> As far as i have seen only the src.rpm has this dependency but neither
> of the install-rpms.
> What is this needed for in the src.rpm-package that do lack the
> install-packages?
> I haven't installed qemu on my hosts, only kvm and everything works
> fine, even live-migration works now without the extra qemu installed on
> the host i build the libvirt. But now "make rpm" fails due to the
> dependency for qemu.
> Couldn't either:
> A) the qemu-requirement be patched out of the requirements for the
> src.rpm (if possible) or

The build process probes installed packages to determine what functionality
to build in. If qemu isn't installed, then parts of the storage APIs will
become disabled due to inability to find qemu-img tool.

> B) the kvm-package has qemu and qemu-img added as "provides" (okay -
> this would be another mailing list)

You don't mention what distro you're using, but in Fedora 11 the entire
kvm package has gone away. The kvm binary is just part of the standard
qemu-system-x86  RPM, which already has a dep on qemu-tools, so the
scenaro of installing KVm without installing QEMU doesn't exist anymore.