[libvirt] Remote virConnect.listDomainsID() returns invalid IDs (Python, Xen)

Russell Haering russell_h at osuosl.org
Thu May 14 19:14:09 UTC 2009

I'm working with the Libvirt Python bindings and have discovered the
following:

If I run virConnect.listDomainsID() locally I get a list of valid IDs.
For example:

>>> import libvirt
>>> conn = libvirt.open('xen://')
>>> conn.listDomainsID()
[0, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 61]

If I run the exact same thing remotely I get a list including numerous
invalid IDs. This example shows the same host as shown above, about 20
seconds earlier (everything essentially identical):

>>> import libvirt
>>> conn = libvirt.open('xen+tls://xxxx.xxxxx')
>>> conn.listDomainsID()
[0, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 51, 52, 53, 54, 60, 61]

IDs 51, 52, 53, 54 and 60 are invalid.

I first noticed this problem working with libvirt 0.6.0 on the client
and 0.6.2 on the server, and noticed that with those versions the
problem also occurred with virsh.

Locally(0.6.0):

local ~ # virsh list
 Id Name                 State
----------------------------------
  0 Domain-0             running
 35 xxxxxxx              idle
 36 xxxxx                idle
 37 xxxxxx               idle
 38 xxxxxxxxx            idle
 39 xxxxxx               idle
 40 xxxxx                idle
 61 xxxxxxxxxx           idle

Whereas remotely(0.6.0):

remote # virsh -c xen+tls://xxxxx.xxxxx list
 Id Name                 State
----------------------------------
  0 Domain-0             running
 35 xxxxxxx              idle
 36 xxxxx                idle
 37 xxxxxx               idle
 38 xxxxxxxxx            idle
 39 xxxxxx               idle
 40 xxxxx                idle
libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed: xend_get: error from
xen daemon:
libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed: xend_get: error from
xen daemon:
libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed: xend_get: error from
xen daemon:
libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed: xend_get: error from
xen daemon:
libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed: xend_get: error from
xen daemon:
 61 xxxxxxxxxx           idle

However with virsh 0.6.2 on the client this appears to be fixed.

Thanks,

--
Russell Haering
Systems Administrator