[libvirt] Libvirt & VMware using bindings?

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 10 14:49:39 UTC 2009

2009/11/10 Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com>:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 09:26:30AM +0000, H Alexandre wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can see on
>> the home page that Libvirt supports Linux virtualization platform (Xen, KVM…)
>> but in the bindings page mentions about other languages integration (perl &
>> java for instance).
>>
>> I would
>> like to know if there is a way (using those bindings) to use standard Libvirt based code
>> to manage VMware virtualization platform ?
>
>  Yes in recent versions of libvirt there is now code allowing to
> handle ESX (and GSX), though we still need a driver page for it
> under http://libvirt.org/drivers.html (any chance Matthias ;-) ?)

I'll move it to the top of my todo list, right before getting another
series of 10 patches for ESX upstream :-). Don't worry, I plan them
for 0.7.4.

>  See http://libvirt.org/search.php?query=VMWare&submit=Search
> there are various post on this list about this
>
> the URI format is:
>
>  in general the following might be sufficient to establish a connection:
>
>    esx://server_name

That's the minimal one. In case you see SSL certificate errors you can
append the no_verify option:

   esx://server_name/?no_verify=1

This disables certificate verification for libcurl.

> and once you have a connection well, it's like for any other hypervisor,
> except you don't need to run libvirtd on the target host since it speaks
> directly to the ESX server.
>
> Matthias is the expert for this driver, I am not :-)
>
> Daniel

Matthias