[libvirt] device type 'interface' cannot be attached

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Sat Nov 14 22:48:21 UTC 2009

Gerry Reno wrote:
> I'm using libvirt 0.6.2 on F11 x86_64 and CPU supports hw
> virtualization.  When I try to do 'virsh attach-interface ...' I get
> an error that the function is not supported by the hypervisor device
> type 'interface' cannot be attached.  Is this command not supported?
> Or is there something special I need to do?  I found it in the man page.

I have a private network declared now, thank you Mark.

And here is how I am trying to attach an interface:
# cat PRIVBR0.xml
  <network>
    <name>PRIVBR0</name>
    <bridge name='privbr0'/>
    <ip address='172.19.0.1' netmask='255.255.0.0'>
    </ip>
  </network>

# virsh net-list --all
Name                 State      Autostart
PRIVBR0              active     yes
default              active     no

# virsh attach-interface CC  bridge privbr0
error: this function is not supported by the hypervisor: device type 'interface' cannot be attached

# grep emulator  CC.xml
    <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-kvm</emulator>

I tried the 'attach-interface' both while the domain is running and while shutdown.  Neither works.

Can anyone see something wrong in what I'm doing here or the reason that 'attach-interface' is failing?

-Gerry