[libvirt] Re: [Patch v0.4] iSCSI Multi-IQN (Libvirt Support)

Dave Allan dallan at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 17:31:59 UTC 2009

Shyam_Iyer at Dell.com wrote:
> [...]

Dan and I took another look at this, and we think that parsing the
output of iscsiadm is the right way to go, since the relevant
information is available there.  It's what we're doing in the rest of
the code, as well as (IMO) less likely to change between builds of
iscsiadm/distros/etc.  Sorry about the conflicting advice.

>>> Also, how do we go about creating unique iface filenames when
>>> automatically creating them using libvirt ?
>> I don't know what naming convention is used in IFACES_DIR, but I'd say
>> just follow whatever's used already
>
> What I mean here is how do I create unique file names through libvirt.
> Today a unique iface file name is created by the user manually.
>
> So, should mkstemp be used... with a template feed of the initiator iqn
> name ?

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, the filename is the
interface name, so what we're talking about here is generating a unique
interface name?  Assuming that's the case, you could use a randomly
generated string, although personally I find those things somewhat
difficult to keep in mind.  You could also just append a monotonically
increasing value, but I don't have too strong an opinion about how you
do it.

Any way you generate the interface name, you should use iscsiadm to
create the interface.

Dave