[libvirt] Re: [virt-tools-list] Questions about virt-manager running on Arch of Itanium 64

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri Nov 20 13:14:09 UTC 2009

cc-ing libvirt-list

On 11/19/2009 10:35 PM, Dustin Xiong wrote:

>>> Hi everyone!
>>> I am a newer to the virt-manager and maillist. I sent the mail just want
>>> to ask some questions about virt-manager running on Arch of Itanium 64.
>>> My itanium 64 cpu actualy support the VT. I compiled the kvm85
>>> successful. Then I can use the binary /usr/local/bin/qemu-system-ia64 to
>>> create a vm and running. But in my /proc/cpuinfo , there doesn't have
>>> flags such as vmx or svm. So when I use the virt-manager to install a
>>> vm, the virt-manager will tell me my cpu doesn't support fully
>>> virtualization, then I can't install vm. In fact I can't get understand
>>> how the virt-manager find my cpu support the fully virtualization or
>>> not.In src, which file implements this.
>>>

>> Just because qemu-kvm works doesn't mean virt is working on your box, since it
>> can fall back to full emulation mode. If you are trying to use kvm, is the kvm
>> module actually loaded? lsmod | grep kvm
>
> My kvm mod actually loaded.
>
> [root at kvm bin]# lsmod | grep kvm
>
> kvm_intel             306104  4294967281
>
> kvm                   327544  1 kvm_intel
>

> [root at kvm bin]# modinfo kvm
>
> filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.28.9hzp/extra/kvm.ko
>
> license:        GPL
>
> author:         Qumranet
>
> version:        kvm-85
>
> srcversion:     C399DD2D9B40BAAC05CD509
>
> depends:
>
> vermagic:       2.6.28.9hzp SMP mod_unload modversions ia64gcc-4.1
>
>> If so, libvirt may need to be fixed. What's the output of 'virsh --connect
>> qemu:///system capabilities'
>
> [root at kvm bin]# virsh --connect qemu:///system capabilities
> <capabilities>
>
>   <host>
>     <cpu>
>       <arch>ia64</arch>
>     </cpu>
>     <topology>
>       <cells num='1'>
>         <cell id='0'>
>           <cpus num='16'>
>             <cpu id='0'/>
>             <cpu id='1'/>
>             <cpu id='2'/>
>             <cpu id='3'/>
>             <cpu id='4'/>
>             <cpu id='5'/>
>             <cpu id='6'/>
>             <cpu id='7'/>
>             <cpu id='8'/>
>             <cpu id='9'/>
>             <cpu id='10'/>
>             <cpu id='11'/>
>             <cpu id='12'/>
>             <cpu id='13'/>
>             <cpu id='14'/>
>             <cpu id='15'/>
>           </cpus>
>         </cell>
>       </cells>
>     </topology>
>   </host>
>

>>> My cpu is itanium 64, the OS is RHEL.The libvirt is 0.6.3, virt-manager
>>> is 0.6.1.

Ah, are you using the version of libvirt that comes with RHEL 5.4? That
version has been patched to only look for the qemu-kvm binary in one
spot: /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm IIRC. You could try to work with that, but
since you are already building upstream KVM, virt-manager, and virtinst,
might not be a bad idea to pull upstream libvirt as well.

>>> Once i tried to compile the virt-manager-0.8.0, but when i make check,
>>> it returns:
>>>
>>> PYTHONPATH=./..:../graphWidgets/.libs python addhardware.py  && touch
>>> .tstamp.addhardware.py
>>> Traceback (mos! t recent call last):
>>>   File "addhardware.py", line 32, in ?
>>>     from virtinst import VirtualCharDevice, VirtualDevice,
>>> VirtualVideoDevice
>>>
>>> when i rpm -ivh virt-manager-0.6.1-8.el5.ia64.rpm, it could work.
>>>
>>> I don't know why this error occur. Can anyone be kind to tell me how?
>>> thanks a lot.
>>>

>> You will also need to install the latest version of virtinst, found at:
>>
>> http://virt-manager.org/download.html
>
> I downloaded and compiled the latest version of virtinst: virtinst-0.500.0.tar.gz.
> then compile the virt-manager-0.8.0, error changed as below:
>
> [root at kvm virt-manager-0.8.0]# make check
> Making check in src
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/dustin/virt-manager/virt-manager-0.8.0/src'
> Making check in virtManager
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/dustin/virt-manager/virt-manager-0.8.0/src/virtManager'
> make  check-local
> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/dustin/virt-manager/virt-manager-0.8.0/src/virtManager'
> PYTHONPATH=./..:../graphWidgets/.libs python about.py  && touch .tstamp.about.py
> PYTHONPATH=./..:../graphWidgets/.libs python addhardware.py  && touch .tstamp.addhardware.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "addhardware.py", line 35, in ?
>     from virtManager.asyncjob import vmmAsyncJob
>   File "/home/dustin/virt-manager/virt-manager-0.8.0/src/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 30, in ?
>     class vmmAsyncJob(gobject.GObject):
>   File "/home/dustin/virt-manager/virt-manager-0.8.0/src/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 40, in vmmAsyncJob
>     def __init__(self, config, callback, args=None,
> NameError: name '_' is not defined
>
> Thanks for help.If you need any further infos please dont't hesitate to tell me.

Ah, didn't notice the make check in the first mail. 'make check' doesn't
work in the virt-manager code base, never taken the time to fix it. You
should just be able to 'make && make install', or 'make' and python
src/virt-manager.py to run from the source dir. If running virt-manager
then throws an error, report here and Ill try to help.

- Cole