[libvirt] questions on build qemu driver with non-root

Shi Jin jinzishuai at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 27 20:33:49 UTC 2009

Hi there,

I have been successful in building the latest libvirt code from the git repository. The options I used to build is

./autogen.sh  --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var  --without-xen --with-qemu --with-qemu-user=oneadmin --with-qemu-group=oneadmin --without-uml --without-vbox --without-openvz --without-lxc

Please note that I have specified qemu user and group to be non-root.

So far the libvirtd service and virsh both seem to work fine but I have a few issues
1. Before running "virsh create", the image belongs to user oneadmin. During the run, it still does. But the as soon as I shutdown/destroy the instance, the image ownership changes to
-rw-rw—— 1 root root
I don't understand why. Is this a bug?

2. From the documentation at http://libvirt.org/drvqemu.html, the   directories /var/run/libvirt/qemu/, /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/ and /var/cache/libvirt/qemu/ must all have their ownership set to oneadmin:oneadmin. However, mine are still set to root:root and it does not seem to affect the running of libvirt/qemu/kvm. For example,
oneadmin at test2:~$ ls /var/run/libvirt/qemu -la
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   80 2009-11-27 13:22 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  100 2009-11-27 13:07 ..
-rw------- 1 root root    4 2009-11-27 13:22 client.pid
-rw------- 1 root root 1250 2009-11-27 13:22 client.xml

3. The libvirtd service still shows the warning message:
warning : qemudStartup:904 : Unable to create cgroup for driver: No such device or address
I read from earlier posts that the --without-lxc option should get rid of this message.

Thank you for your help.
--
Shi Jin, PhD