[libvirt] strange problem only if /usr/sbin/libvirtd is named

Shi Jin jinzishuai at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 29 06:11:21 UTC 2009

Hi there,

I am having a very strange problem. I have built a git libvirt for our servers  running ubuntu 9.10. The same built works on all servers but one, which gives error information:
21:08:58.827: error : qemudStartup:926 : unable to set ownership of '/var/lib/libvirt/qemu' to user 400:400: Operation not permitted
21:08:58.827: error : qemudStartup:932 : unable to set ownership of '/var/cache/libvirt/qemu' to 400:400:

This is because I used the --with-qemu-user and --with-qemu-group options in building libvirt.
After hours of debugging, I figured out the problem:
as long as the service binary is not named /usr/sbin/libvirtd, I don't have the above errors. For example, I can rename the binary as /usr/sbin/libvirtd.1 or copy it to anywhere else and it works.

I am wondering if there is anything so special about this /usr/sbin/libvirtd file name. Also, it is so strange that it works for all other almost identical servers but this particular one.

I appreciate your help.

--
Shi Jin, PhD