[libvirt] Creating Guest OS in Virtual Box

santosh gandham santhosh003 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 12:51:33 UTC 2009

Hi,

 I am trying to create Guest OS (VM) in virtualBox throught libvirt. I
installed libvirt 0.7.0 and created the template as

<domain type='vbox'>
	<name>ubuntu</name>

	<os>
		<type>hvm</type>
		<boot dev='hd'/>
	</os>

         <memory>542720</memory>
         <vcpu>1</vcpu>

	<devices>
		<disk type='file' device='disk'>
			<source file='/home/santhosh/Desktop/ubuntu9.vdi'/>
			<target dev='hdd'/>

		</disk>
		<graphics type='rdp' port='3386'/>
	</devices>
</domain>

Then I issued this command

  $ virsh -c vbox:///session define /home/santhosh/Desktop/ubun.tmpl

  Domain ubuntu defined from /home/santhosh/Desktop/ubun.tmpl

When I open VirtualBox, it has created a domain named "ubuntu". All
the parameters specified in the template file are set except  "Hard
disks" . So, when I start the VM, I am left with boot errors

00:00:06.318 Guest Log: BIOS: int13_harddisk: function 02, unmapped
device for ELDL=80
00:00:06.319 Guest Log: BIOS: Boot from Hard Disk 0 failed
00:00:06.321 Guest Log: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted.

It is unable to boot from the disk image which I specified in the
template and I am sure the path  specified to disk image in the
template is correct.

I am unable to diagnize and find where is the error. Can any one help
me here to know what might be the problem and what should I do.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Gandham Santhosh