[libvirt] libvirt/kvm config for routed networking

William Wagner will_wagner at carallon.com
Thu Oct 8 08:44:45 UTC 2009

Hello,

I hope this is the right list I should post to as my question is not
development related.

I am trying to setup a kvm/libvirt VM on my host (Ubuntu jaunty). My
host has a public static IP and my VM also has a public static IP.
Unfortunately I can not use bridged networking as the hosting provider
has configured their switch to only accept packets from the MAC address
of the host.

I want to be able to setup my VM so it has the public static IP and it
appears to be directly connected to the net. I believe I can do this
with routed networking.

I have created a new routed network:
<network>
<name>routed-net</name>
<bridge name="routed%d" />
<forward mode="route" dev="eth0"/>
<ip address="10.255.255.2" netmask="255.255.255.255">
</ip>
</network>

and in my vm's config I have:
<interface type='user'>
<source network='routed-net'/>
<mac address='54:52:00:47:a8:38'/>
<model type='virtio'/>
</interface>

Will this mean that the VM is placed on the routed network?

Then I just need to add suitable routing rules on the host and
everything should work?

Is there a way to get libvirt to add the rules automatically when the VM
starts. I have previously used Xen where you are able to specify what
the IP address of the VM is and entries are automatically added to
iptables. Is there similar syntax for libvirt and if so what is it? If
not how do you recommend adding the routing rules?

Thanks.

Will.

Will Wagner                                     will_wagner at carallon.com
Development Manager                      Office Tel: +44 (0)20 7371 2032
Carallon Ltd, Studio G20, Shepherds Building, Rockley Rd, London W14 0DA