[libvirt] feature request: virDomainSendkeys API

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Sat Oct 10 08:50:51 UTC 2009

Our QA team makes use of qemu's sendkeys monitor command to test
interesting things such as Windows guest installation-from-scratch.

When we move to libvirt, we loose this ability.

On irc, dpb suggested using vnc to send the required keys. Are you aware
of a command-line tool for that, or should we build our own? If we go
down this path, we would have to build a similar tool for testing VMs
with SPICE. (and have nothing to do for VMs with no graphics support,
but these are not used in the product anyway)

Alternatively, libvirt can supply a new API for injecting key strokes
into a domain. Surely it's useful only for debug and qa, but so is
virDomainMemoryPeek.

Is that reasonable?

Dan.