[libvirt] [RFC] Support for CPUID masking

Dor Laor dlaor at redhat.com
Sun Oct 11 09:44:04 UTC 2009

On 10/09/2009 12:58 PM, Mukesh G wrote:
> Speaking from an x86 angle,providing an ability to enable or disable
> high level constructs like SSE instead of low level constructs, will
> make it easy to understand.

ain't SSE a low level construct too?

What about another approach for the cpuid issue:
I think that dealing with specific flags is pretty error prone on all
levels - virt-mgr, libvirt, qemu, migration, and even the guest.
We can't just 'invent' new cpu modules that will be a combination of
flags we have on the host. It might work for some kernels/apps but it
might break others. In addition to cpuid we have the stepping and more
MSRs that needed to be hidden/exposed.

The offer:
Libvirt, virt-mgr, qemu will not deal with lowlevel bits of the cpuid.
We'll use predefined cpu modules to be emulated.
These predefined modules will represent a real module that was once
shipped by Intel/AMD.

We'll write an additional tool, not under libvirt, that will be able to
calculate all the virtual cpus that can run over the physical cpu. This
tool will be the one messing with /proc/cpuinfo, etc.

Example (theoretical): Physical cpu is "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
T9600  @ 2.80GHz" the output of the tool will be:
shell>computeVirtCpuCapabilities
core2duo
core solo
486
pentium3
..

Libvirt will only expose the real physical cpu and all of the outputs
above. Higher level mgmt will compute the best -cpu to pick for the VM,
and it will take account the user needs for performance or for migration
flexibility.

The cons:
  - Simple for all levels
  - Fast implementation
  - Accurate representative of real cpus

The pros:
  - none - we should write the tool anyway
  - Maybe we hide some of the possibilities, but as said above, it is
    safer and friendlier.
    I also recommend of adding a field to be added next to the cpu for
    flexibility and possible future changes + dealing with problematic
    bios with NX bit disabled.

Regards,
Dor