[libvirt] Re: Libvir Xen and domain events

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Oct 12 11:29:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 06:46:40PM -0400, Christopher Pyper wrote:
> I have been looking into registering some domain events though the
> python Libvir API.  However, I am getting errors and I believe it may
> be due to lack of event support in Xen.  This is the error I am getting:
>
> libvir: Xen error : this function is not supported by the hypervisor:
> xenUnifiedDomainEventRegister
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./testcallback.py", line 19, in ?
>     conn.domainEventRegister(callback,None)
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1578, in
> domainEventRegister
>     if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virConnectDomainEventRegister
> () failed', conn=self)
> libvirt.libvirtError: this function is not supported by the
> hypervisor: xenUnifiedDomainEventRegister

The Xen driver does support events. I think this is probably a misleading
error message which in fact is trying to tell you that you need to provide
an event loop first.

Take a look at examples/domain-events/events-py.py for a good example
of how to use events. I've not tested it with Xen recently, but it ought
to work