[libvirt] Interface driver and ESX support

Shahar Klein shaharklein at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 8 13:56:10 UTC 2009

I'm trying to get a feel of the python binding and the esx driver

Trying to get the number of interfaces hit(as anticipated) a non-support wall:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test.py", line 362, in ?
    vmm.refresh()
  File "test.py", line 189, in refresh
    print self.conn.numOfDefinedInterfaces()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1347, in numOfDefinedInterfaces
    if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virConnectNumOfDefinedInterfaces() failed', conn=self)
libvirt.libvirtError: this function is not supported by the hypervisor: virConnectNumOfDefinedInterfaces

I'm wondering how to fix it

can I register the esx driver as the interface driver?
so I can use the ESX web-services to handle all the interface issues that normally(?) netcf would handle?

if yes - how is it done?

I thought that configure --without-netcf would do the trick(it didn't-I think)

Thanks

Shahar