[libvirt] Interface driver and ESX support

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 9 08:37:17 UTC 2009

2009/9/9 Shahar Klein <shaharklein at yahoo.com>:
> Let me rephrase my question : )
> In the current libvirt infrastructure I can do a lot of things with libvirt
> and a remote ESX node
> I can list all the guests
> I can suspend a guest
> I can get a lot of node info
> and much more....
> can I (for example)
> 1. add NIC to a guest domain

The attach/detach device driver functions aren't implemented yet, but
that's on my todo list.

> 2. list all the physical interfaces on a node

The VI API contains methods and types to do this. It requires a new
interface driver as Chris already said. This is not implemented yet,
but that's on my todo list.

> If not - what do I need to develop
> should I expand the current driver
> or
> should I need to develop a new interface driver(like netcf)
> or
> maybe I can assign the current esx driver as the interface driver and expand
> it to handle the relvant requests
> 10x again
> Shahar

The basic question is: How urgent is this for you? Do you need it now
or can you wait some time until I implemented it?

PS: I just finished the implementation of the driver function for
virDomainDefineXML(). I need to cleanup the patches a bit and will
post them by the end of the week, depends on how fast I can get done
some other urgent, university related work.