[libvirt] [RFC, PATCH] network: add 'netboot' option to dhcp config

Jeremy Kerr jk at ozlabs.org
Mon Sep 14 23:01:03 UTC 2009

Hi Paolo,

> Since there is only one TFTP server running in the network

IIRC, it's possible to have more than one: the Server-Name (id 66) of the DHCP
response specifies which. However, we probably only ever want to start one
server, so the <tftp> tag should work fine.

> , it is not
> possible to specify different roots for different dhcp ranges.  I think
> the schema should be
>
>      <ip address="192.168.122.1" netmask="255.255.255.0">
>        <tftp root="/srv/tftp">
>        <dhcp>
>          <range start="192.168.122.2" end="192.168.122.254" />
>          <bootp file="pxeboot.img"/>
>        </dhcp>
>      </ip>

If you want it to be specific to the range, shouldn't it be within the <range>
tag? Currently the code will only parse one <dhcp> tag.

Otherwise, looks fine - I'm happy with either method.

One thing that I've tried to keep in mind is that the tftp service may be
provided by a separate machine in the network, so we may need some way in the
future to represent that - maybe no <tftp> tag, and use server="w.x.y.z" in
the bootp tag. Also, would be cool to have separate files for different hosts,
but that may be thinking too far ahead at this stage :)

Cheers,

Jeremy