[libvirt] RFC: Rename / move / delete files in GIT

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Tue Sep 15 12:07:58 UTC 2009

>   * qemud/ ->  daemon/
>   * qemud/qemud.{h,c} daemon/main.{h,c}
>   * qemud/default-network.xml ->   src/network/default.xml
>   * qemud/libvirtd_qemu.aug src/qemu/qemu.aug
>   * qemud/test_libvirtd_qemu.aug src/qemu/test_qemu.aug
>   * qemud/remote_protocol.x ->  src/remote/remote_protocol.x

100% agreed (I would have chosen libvirtd/ and libvirtd/libvirtd.{h,c}
but that's my taste).

> In the src/ directory we should move the rest of the drivers into their
> own sub-directories. Basically want one sub directory for each of the
> 'mod_LTLIBRARIES' declared in the src/Makefile.am.

This is a good idea.  Do you plan to make separate makefiles too?

Also, it would be nice to rename moddir to modexecdir; the name is
awful, but it ensures that Automake's "make install-exec" installs them
rather than "make install-data".

 From the manual:

    Variables using the standard directory prefixes `data', `info',
   `man', `include', `oldinclude', `pkgdata', or `pkginclude' are
   installed by `install-data'.

    Variables using the standard directory prefixes `bin', `sbin',
   `libexec', `sysconf', `localstate', `lib', or `pkglib' are installed
    by `install-exec'.

    For instance, `data_DATA' files are installed by `install-data',
    while `bin_PROGRAMS' files are installed by `install-exec'.

    Any variable using a user-defined directory prefix with `exec' in
    the name (e.g., `myexecbin_PROGRAMS') is installed by `install-exec'.
    All other user-defined prefixes are installed by `install-data'.

> Move virsh into the tools directory
>
>   * src/virsh.c ->  tools/virsh.c
>   * docs/virsh.pod ->  tools/virsh.pod
>   * virsh.1:   delete from GIT

Yes!

>   * docs/examples/ ->  examples/
>   * docs/test*xml ->  examples/xml/test/
>   * docs/storage ->  examples/xml/storage/

Also very appreciated.

> For there places where I list 'delete from GIT', we would ensure that
> when you run 'make dist' the files are still included in the tar.gz

You can use distcheck-hook for that.

Paolo