[libvirt] virsh migrate with libvirt-0.6.2: failed to start listening VM

David Wilcox davidvsthegiant at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 16:39:44 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to migrate a vm from a fedora 11 host to another fedora 11 host.
Both hosts are on the same subnet. Both machines have identical
architectures. We use an nfs shared storage mounted, but both machines also
have their own hard drives. I get the machines up and running alright.
Here's the printout of virsh when I try to do the migration.

# virsh list
 Id Name                 State
----------------------------------
  1 windowsxp            running
  2 potato               running

# virsh migrate 1 qemu+ssh://prodigy/system
Password:
error: operation failed: failed to start listening VM

On the other machine, the log file that gets created under
/var/log/libvirt/qemo/windowsxp.log

LC_ALL=C PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc -m
512 -smp 1 -name windowsxp -uuid 24d2fd62-ed4f-a321-e264-200b347cfa6c
-monitor pty -pidfile /var/run/libvirt/qemu//windowsxp.pid -localtime
-no-acpi -boot c -drive
file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/windowsxp.img,if=ide,index=0,boot=on -drive
file=/aml/iso/windows_xp_sp3.iso,if=ide,media=cdrom,index=2 -net
nic,macaddr=54:52:00:01:f1:06,vlan=0 -net tap,fd=19,vlan=0 -serial pty
-parallel none -usb -usbdevice tablet -vnc 127.0.0.1:0 -soundhw es1370
-incoming tcp:0.0.0.0:49159
qemu: could not open disk image /var/lib/libvirt/images/windowsxp.img

I would think that the virtual machine should copy from the one machine to
the other. Isn't libvirt supposed to copy the image file?

What's even stranger, I've been trying this for awhile. It's failed every
time, except once when it succeded. I don't know what made it succeed in
that case and fail in all the other cases.

Thanks.