[libvirt] Release schedule ... 0.8.0 coming

Stefan Berger stefanb at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 7 02:03:18 UTC 2010

libvir-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 04/05/2010 12:48:14 PM:

> Please respond to veillard
>
>   Okay, since the snapshot API is in I suggest to start the freeze
> toward the 0.8.0 release. There is still 3 things I think we should
> look at and allow:
>
>   1/ the very large cleanup patch set from Matthias, as this should not
>      break anything (isn't it :-)
>   2/ the nwfilter IP detection code, it still need a review, I didn't
>      do it, libpcap intimidates me a bit, but I think I can be
>      convinced.

The current code would allow for
- explicit IP address declaration by a user for filters requiring the
variable 'IP' (*)
- detection of the IP address using observation of any kind of traffic.
(**)

In the future we should extend this to allow users to choose also
- DHCP with addresses given from 'any' server
- DHCP with addresses given from a specific trusted DHCP server where the
user somehow needs to provide the DHCP server address

Somehow the user should be able to choose what the method should be, also
considering
the setup of the VM that may either use static IP configuration or DHCP.
With these
latter 2 choices added, the user definitely will have to make some
conscious decisions
and if switching inside the VM from DHCP to static, would have to adapt
the method
for the next start.

VM restore operations are a bit of an issue that I am not sure how to
handle, but would
want to fall back to (**) for determining the IP address. Any other method
that
you can think of ? We could *maybe* store the IP address in the domain
XML, but it
would have to be differentiateable from an IP address that the user
originally provided
as in (*) above.

Cheers!

   Stefan