[libvirt] Domain not stable while created...

Sankamesh sankamesh_rb at yahoo.co.in
Fri Apr 9 07:13:49 UTC 2010

Hello

      Thanks for the reply. Now I use virsh -c "xen:///" define libvirt-ttylinux.xml (domain is created) and "virsh start ttyimage"  the image starts and shuts down immediately. This time I can view the domain even after the shut down.

So is there any reason for the image being shutdown immediately?

What else should I check??

Thanks in advance.

________________________________
> Hello,
>
>   I am using Scientific Linux 5.4 and xen. I want to deploy a sample ttyimage by creating a domain using virsh create.
>
> My configuration file is :
> <domain type='xen'>
>     <name>ttyimage</name>
>     <os>
>         <type>linux</type>
>         <kernel>/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-164.2.1.el5xen</kernel>
>      </os>
>     <memory>65536</memory>
>     <vcpu>1</vcpu>
>     <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
>     <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
>     <on_crash>destroy</on_crash>
>     <devices>
>         <graphics type='vnc' port='5900'/>
>         <disk type='file'>
>             <source file='/usr/local/ttylinux-xen-libvirt/ttylinux-xen.img' />
>             <target dev='sda' />
>         </disk>
>         <interface type='bridge'>
>             <source bridge='virbr0' />
>             <mac address='00:1d:60:ec:ae:1c' />
>             <target dev='testnimb-0' />
>         </interface>
>     </devices>
> </domain>
>
> when I use  "virsh -c "xen:///" create libvirt-ttylinux.xml " to create a domain, the domain is crated and i can view the image (in paused mode) using the virt-manager. and when I resume the image it ,disappears (domain gets destroyed) after nearly 10 seconds.....
>  Further when I use vncviewer localhost::5900 when the image is running (during the 10 sec) ,i can view the console. But it closes once the domain is destroyed.
>
> Can someone explain why the image is not stable??? how can I make the domain to be stable????
>
> Thanks in advance

Using 'virsh create guest.xml' cmds can simply activate the guest, which only exist active domain instead of define domain,
and the guest will disappear if it isn't in define domain and you carry out some operations, e.g. 'destroy' or 'shutdown' or
'save' etc. so you should correctly use virsh cmds:
FYI,
virsh -c xen:/// define libvirt-ttylinux.xml
virsh start guestname

Alex