[libvirt] [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri Apr 9 14:47:30 UTC 2010

On 04/09/2010 10:31 AM, Antoine Martin wrote:
> [snip]
>>> * not everything is exposed via libvirt:
>>> virsh can retrieve vncdisplay
>>> but libvirt (or at least the python bindings) does not. How come?
>>> This happens to be one thing I need for writing a libvirt backend for my
>>> virtual desktop software.
>>
>> The 'virsh vncdisplay' command is simply fetching the XML doc for the
>> guest and then extracting the VNC port using a xpath expression
>>
>>    /domain/devices/graphics[@type='vnc']/@port
>>
>> So for python you'd want to just get an XML handling module and do similar.
> Yes, I saw that in the virsh code.
> Shouldn't this be part of the libvirt api proper??
> Isn't it supposed to shield us from dealing with files and XML?

The XML description is a critical part of the libvirt API: using the API for
anything more than start/stop of VMs pretty much requires reading and parsing
the XML.

The API does intend to hide the location of these config files though: XML is
supposed to be fetched with the 'XMLDesc' or dumpxml series of commands.