[libvirt] with these, clang vs. libvirt reports no errors

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Apr 14 17:38:46 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 06:02:29PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> I've been running clang regularly, and there have been a few
> pesky false-positives that just won't go away.
> It's not productive to reexamine them each time, so I've wanted
> a way to educate clang without polluting the code with work-arounds
> that we'll be stuck maintaining and asking questions about long
> after clang becomes smart enough that those work-arounds are no
> longer required.
>
> My solution is to mark the work-arounds with a new macro, sa_assert
> (for "static analysis assert"), which acts just like the classical
> "assert", but is only enabled when compiled by a static analyzer
> like clang or coverity.  The advantage of using an assert-like
> macro is that people already know that it must have no side-effects
> and that will make it easy to remove later, when clang grows up.
>
> One question you may ask is why add a new symbol, when
> "assert" itself can already do this via NDEBUG (defined, any
> assertions are disabled, not defined, they are enabled).
> There are a few assertions in the code now, and I prefer
> not to touch them, and to make it clear that these are
> helping us cater to static analyzers.

This sounds like a good compromise solution to me

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|