[libvirt] BUG: attaching - detaching network device only works 7 times

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Apr 15 16:48:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 12:19:48PM -0400, Stefan Berger wrote:
> "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com> wrote on 04/15/2010 07:50:51
> AM:
>

> > Even if that wasn't broken though, I don't see how NIC hotplug would
> work
> > in your scenario. That error message about Too Many NICs is becuase the
> > 'nd_table' in QEMU's net.c has all fields set 'used = 1'. I don't see
> any
> > code which ever sets 'used = 0'.
>
> no code there that ever decreases nb_nic, so unplug doesn't seem to be
> supported
>
> Would it be worth having such a simple test in libvirt repository itself
> or is that a case for the TCK project?

Yep, this is perfect candidate for a TCK test case. Take the 210-nic-hotplug.t
test case, and make it attempt to plug+unplug a NIC 35 times in a row. This
should test this particular bug, and also validate that PCI addresses are
being reused correctly (there're only 31 pci slots that can be used at any
1 time)

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|