[libvirt] iface-list command in virsh

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Apr 21 08:07:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 07:38:43AM -0400, Laine Stump wrote:
> On 04/19/2010 04:06 PM, Dev.Atom wrote:
> >Hi,
> >I'm trying to list physical interface of a remote tcp host via the C
> >API and it fails. I have tried to use virsh iface-list in remote TCP
> >connection and it fails also. I have trying on the libvirt host with
> >my normal account and it fails also, but when I connect under root
> >account on the libvirt host, iface-list works. Any clue ?
>
> When you run virsh locally as non-root, it connects to qemu://session,
> which doesn't have root privileges, and the iface-* commands won't work
> (because netcf requires root to run). If you run virsh as root, you will
> be connected to qemu://system, which has root, and iface-* will work.

We can still read files in /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts as non-root,
so it'd be desirable to at least make iface-XXX stuff work read-only,
allowing configs to be queried / listed.

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|