[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Re: Libvirt debug API

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Thu Apr 22 18:47:55 UTC 2010

On 04/12/2010 07:23 AM, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:17:38PM +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
>>
>>> It's not that hard to write this for trivial extra options:
>>>
>>>     <emulator>/bin/sh -c 'qemu "$0" "$@" -extra-flag'</emulator>
>>>
>>> (if that works).
>>>
>>    That won't work because we expect the emulator to be a path to
>> the emulator program, so yes that has to be done in the wrapper script.
>>
> Ok.  Being able to pass arguments would be about infinitely more
> useful, so that you don't need a separate wrapper script for every
> individual guest configuration - you can pass options to the single
> wrapper for each variation.
>
> Even<emulator>/path/to/wrapper qemu-0.11</emulator>  is a big improvement
> over<emulator>/path/to/wrapper-guest-config-6-with-qemu-0.11</emulator>  ;-)
>
> Some simple but versatile hook ideas:
>
>     -<emulator-append-option>   (no space splitting, one option, appended)
>     -<emulator-append-options>  (space splitting multiple options)
>     -<emulator-prepend-option>
>     -<emulator-prepend-options>
>     -<emulator-setenv name="NAME">VALUE</emulator-setenv>

I'd strongly suggest not focusing on manipulating command line
arguments.  I think in the not too distant future, few people will pass
command line arguments as opposed to just using configuration files.

We are very close to being able to cover 90% of current users via the
config file.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori