[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Re: Libvirt debug API

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Thu Apr 22 19:10:21 UTC 2010

On 04/22/2010 01:45 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Which in turn, could be embedded as:
>
> <domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://qemu.org/schemas/qemu/1.0'>
> <name>myguest</name>
> <qemu:cpudef>
> <name>Operon_G3</name>
> <level>5</level>
> <vendor>AuthenticAMD</vendor>
> </qemu:cpudef>
> </domain>
>
> With respect to injecting QMP commands directly, I think the proposed
> debug API is probably reasonable.  We could build a libqemu that used
> that API as a transport which means that one could use libqemu and
> libvirt simultaneously which is certainly a key requirement of mine.
>
> I think it's important that it's a dedicated monitor session though.
> It shouldn't just be injecting commands within an existing QMP session
> IMHO.

Another important thing to mention is that this type of conversion has
two purposes.  A user can inject qemu config snippets into the libvirt
description, but libvirt can also inject qemu config snippets that it
cannot represent via it's own XML for the user.

For instance, let's say that a user adds a disk via QMP with an option
that libvirt doesn't recognize.  When a virsh dumpxml is executed,
libvirt could display the XML using the <qemu:drive> tag instead of the
<disk> tag that it normally would use.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori