[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Re: Libvirt debug API

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Apr 23 10:30:00 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 01:47:55PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 04/12/2010 07:23 AM, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> >Daniel Veillard wrote:

> >>   That won't work because we expect the emulator to be a path to
> >>the emulator program, so yes that has to be done in the wrapper script.
> >>
> >Ok.  Being able to pass arguments would be about infinitely more
> >useful, so that you don't need a separate wrapper script for every
> >individual guest configuration - you can pass options to the single
> >wrapper for each variation.
> >
> >Even<emulator>/path/to/wrapper qemu-0.11</emulator>  is a big improvement
> >over<emulator>/path/to/wrapper-guest-config-6-with-qemu-0.11</emulator>
> >;-)
> >
> >Some simple but versatile hook ideas:
> >
> >    -<emulator-append-option>   (no space splitting, one option, appended)
> >    -<emulator-append-options>  (space splitting multiple options)
> >    -<emulator-prepend-option>
> >    -<emulator-prepend-options>
> >    -<emulator-setenv name="NAME">VALUE</emulator-setenv>
> >

> I'd strongly suggest not focusing on manipulating command line
> arguments.  I think in the not too distant future, few people will pass
> command line arguments as opposed to just using configuration files.

Agreed, we're not having anything in the XML for modifying command
line arguments explicitly. In tiny edge case where someone actually
needs that, QEMU already provides the '-set OPTION'  command line
arg that you can use to override any qdev property.

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|